Monday, March 22, 2010

Healthcare Bill? Nope, just a post about the EyeWriter


FutureEverything awarded the 2010 prize to the EyeWriter

"The EyeWriter is a pair of low-cost eye-tracking glasses that allow artists and graffiti writers with paralysis to draw using only their eyes. Inspired by Tony Quan, a graffiti writer, social activist and publisher who was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (AML) in 2003, The EyeWriter is the result of a collaboration with five other artists and a production company. It is an ongoing project to empower people suffering from degenerative neuromuscular diseases with creative technologies."

This is one of the coolest inventions I have seen all year, and I can't wait till we can get one for my uncle.  Check out the video below to see how it works, and watch the artist project graffiti art in real-time onto LA buildings from his bed.




The Eyewriter from Evan Roth on Vimeo.

More pictures

Oh, and I guess there is some news about Healthcare today....I'll let you check your facebook feeds for that though, I openly admit that I can offer no intelligent commentary on the matter.

J

2 comments:

Harsha Kalapala said...

That is sweet stuff! Do you think this can be called "Social Entrepreneurship" in some sense?

Besides the potential to apply the concept in other creative ways, the market for this piece of technology is relatively small.

Jason D'Mello said...

Harsha -
I think its definitely an application of social entrepreneurship, very innovative and definitely scalable with their DIY format for building the glasses and open source development of the software to continue to improve.

You would be surprised at the size of this industry and the purchasing power...And there are a lot of people that have trouble using their hands from arthritis or other problems, so this technology could be applied elsewhere I would imagine.

I think I'd even buy this product to see how well i could draw with my eyes instead of my hands.