Thursday, November 1, 2007

Back from Bombay


I spent a week in Bombay, read Shantaram again, and dreamed about the side of the city I will probably never see, besides the Johnny Depp production of the book, under the direction of Mira Nair, and starring Johnny, Amitabh Bachchan, and possibly Shilpa Shetty.

It was great catching up with family again. I truly appreciate the place each time I visit, not because of anything except the good people.

Some good people in Hyderabad who invited me to their house gifted me the book "In Spite of the God's: The Strange Rise of Modern India." I am looking forward to reading that, as it is supposed to be a book that "illuminates a land of many contradictions." After seeing the lecture on the "Games Indians Play" this book sounds damn interesting.

Google's stock closed at over $700 today. They are also going head on with Facebook, in an interesting move to build an open social platform that all social networks can use. I hope that TheWedLink will be able to be incorporated into this. Things are going well with our progress out here, and I saw parts of the site working today as they will when we launch, which was really exciting.

This weekend will be filled with extra hours in the office. Next week is Diwali, so we need to work ahead before the holiday begins. There is a slight chance I might travel to Dubai next weekend, but for the most part I think I will stay in Hyderabad. Sunday I am doing a scavenger hunt around the city with my buddies Sainik and Kirthi. Should be a good way to see the city, it ends with lunch and drinks at some resort just outside of town. My absence for 5 days has been received by my daily contacts quite surprisingly. I actually felt missed, coming back today and having all the folks at the gym question me about not coming for so long, thinking I had already moved home without saying goodbye. 1 Month left in Hyderabad, much more to do.

-Jason

1 comment:

Stinger said...

you should get those books here. i will try to find them in the public libraries and read them, but if not, i will have to borrow them from you.
scavenger hunting? what exactly are you going to do?