Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday at the park


Nov 14th is Children's day in India. The universal date is actually Nov 20th, but in honor of Pandit Jawaharial Nehru, India's first prime minister who was very fond of children, the holiday is celebrated on his birthday.

How does a Hyderabadass celebrate this holiday? How about by spending a Sunday afternoon in a park with 30 kids playing cricket, tag, having 3 legged races, learning how to eat rice with my hands south Indian style, being drenched in water from mischievous little girls who teamed up against me in a water fight in the park fountain, carrying kids on my shoulders, letting them play with my mobile phone and getting genuine goodbye hugs after 5 hours of solid fun. Today I spent Children's day playing in a park with these young suffering victims infected or affected with HIV and AIDS.

It is estimated that there are between 2 million to 3.6 million people infected with HIV in India, ranking it third behind Nigeria and South Africa in the list of most infected countries in the world. Less than 15% of these people receive antiretroviral drugs (AVRs), a treatment proven to significantly delay the progression from HIV to AIDS. Ironically, this treatment has been available to rich countries since 1996.

The UN has state the following:

  • India's adult HIV prevalence will peak at 1.9% in 2019.
  • The number of AIDS deaths in India (which was estimated at 2.7 million for the period 1980-2000) will rise to 12.3 million during 2000-15, and to 49.5 million during 2015-50.
  • Economic growth in India will slow by almost a percentage point per year as a result of AIDS by 2019.
Nonetheless this community face tremendous hardships in India. They have faced violent attacks, rejection from families and communities, refusal of medical treatment, and even denial of the last rites before dying. Few are informed how they can prevent other diseases. Volunteers and non profits are also faced with resistance with their efforts to help the victims. I am disgusted to hear that for every four people infected with HIV, at least one will be refused medical treatment in India.

I am thankful that the children I met today are unaware of the politics. Many of them have lost their parents because of this epidemic. A few of them were coughing throughout the day. Some cried, others consoled them, but at the end of the day they were all smiling. I have never seen such a caring group of kids get along so well, enjoying the simple games and toys we brought to the park. I can only imagine what their eyes have seen so far in life, and a day in the park spent with 4 big people with funny accents eliminated any need for misbehaving.



I couldn't talk to most of the kids since they spoke only Telugu, yet we had no problem communicating. One of the kids,
Akhil was one of the smartest 11 year old kids I have ever met. He spoke 4 languages including English, and offered to translate for us if our other methods of communication failed. obviously leader of the group, he was responsible for much of the success of the activities. At one point of the day he took one of the volunteers for a walk to the museum, telling him much he loved history. His father had taken him there many times, and had recently died from AIDS. He came back with a ball for the other kids to play with, and began an unorganized game of tag/dodgeball/volleyball/football (or soccer for you Americans) tug-o -war, monkey in the middle, and keep away. I had been nourished earlier by a generous serving of yellow rice. There was no silverware, so I was forced to eat for the first time with my hands. The kids exploded in laughter at my pathetic attempts, but after they taught me how to hold my hands I figured out how to eat rice in the present etiquette.

During the madness of the next 5 hour recess, the kids found their way to the fountain, and started a massive water fight. 4 young girls conspiring against me tricked me into getting close enough to the oasis so that they could mercilessly drench me. One of the other volunteers had also been trapped and tried to make a run for it, but slipped and fell on his ass. Everyone erupted into laughter, as it was slapstick humor you find in a movie. Later in the afternoon, this same character was tied up by the kids and used as a trampoline.

While all this was going on, I secretly sent
Satyam to pick up a cricket set from the nearby store. When he returned with the sporting goods, the boys were absolutely thrilled, jumping around all over the place waiting to play the beloved national sport. When language does me no good here in India, cricket never has failed in helping me connect with me. We paused the game to jump in a large tug-o-war contest and other games such as the 3 legged race. At this point Satyam had taken over organizing activities. He was the expert with explaining the rules to the kids and is a surprisingly resourceful guy with an eagle scouts skill with tying knots. At one point he single handedly challenged a dozen kids in a tug-o-war match, but his raw strength could not prevail over the euphoric kids. I have never seen him so happy. He admitted that he wish he had brought his own son to the park that day.

We ended the day sitting in a circle sharing fruit.
Akhil quickly offered his fruit to us uncertain that there would be enough for everyone. All of the other kids followed his lead, in a very generous gesture. It turned out that there was, but his offer was something that I will not forget. There was something about this kid that hinted that he had a greater purpose in life. He was the only kid I noticed who wasn't smiling during the playtime. He had a very humbling presence. His maturity was that of a boy much older than him and the confidence he projected made it easy to forget that he was also an HIV AIDS patient. I will never forget this kid, or what he has taught me today. While saying goodbye my heart sank thinking about the reality of these children's lives. Today would probably be a highlight in their years to come, and we will probably never see each other again. I still remember the "big people" I admired when I was a kid to this day, and also remember the sadness I would feel when they left. Today I had the same feeling, even though I was on the other side of the goodbye. I nearly broke down when Akhil came to me to say bye and wrote my number on his hand, saying that he wanted to call me and the other volunteers to his summer camp. Unfortunately I don't have a number to give Akhil to reach me at next summer, as I am leaving Hyderabad in 10 days. I have a feeling that this kid is bound for something great. The fun I had today I now know will be impossible to ever repeat again. I guess sometimes life gifts us with these opportunities to remind ourselves what is important.



Youthfully,
-Jason

3 comments:

Nafessa said...

I am SO GLAD you enjoyed it so much. It honestly was really nice for me to see how it impacted you guys... I see this everyday. Knowing what these kids go through is part of my daily life either in India or San Francisco, but no one really understands what I mean. When it comes down to it, the beautiful thing we come to realize is that they are still kids. They have the SAME needs, wants,giggles, playfulness and sensitivity to balls being throwin in their eyes ;)as other kids do. That is always something uplifting for me. I am glad you felt such a bond with Akhil too

Stinger said...

that was a nice thing to do and a great way to spend a day. i'm glad that you are doing all the right things. enjoy the rest of your stay there as well...

Unknown said...

always enjoy reading your blog but this particular one pulled at my heart strings! way to go Jason. i'm sure you've done your mom and dad proud!